University of Twente
Enschede, THE NETHERLANDS
University Info | Exchange Student Info
Schools of Engineering
Faculty of Engineering Technology
Faculty of Science and Technology
Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science
Faculty of Behavioural Sciences, Management and Social Sciences
University of Twente
- has worldwide recognition of our Remote Sensing subjects (# 6 ARWU Shanghai Ranking 2017).
- has over 100 student associations on campus.
- is the only true campus university in the Netherlands.
- offers laboratory research opportunities under tutored supervision.
- hosts the largest nanotechnology laboratory in Europe.
The University of Twente offers research and degree programs in the social and behavioral sciences and in engineering. The University of Twente, while relatively small-scale, is one of the world’s leading universities which is reflected in the university’s top 200 ranking. Our tagline, ‘High Tech, Human Touch’, reflects how our students and faculty members engage not only in developing pioneering technologies, but also in combining them with behavioral research, social sciences and economics.
Education at the University of Twente revolves around several core principles: a multidisciplinary, project-based approach, student-driven learning in which the needs of the student are the focus, and peer-based learning in which the learning environment is more natural and where students learn from each other.
The campus of the University of Twente is where students and staff live, work and study. All education and research buildings of the university are grouped together on an area of approximately 1 km wide and 1.5 km long (approx. 0,5 mile x 1 mile) at the west side of the city of Enschede. The campus is basically one huge green spot and home to several shops, sport & cultural clubs, cafés, and restaurants, only 15 min away from the city center by bike.
The University of Twente seeks to improve knowledge transfer and was voted no. 1 Dutch university in this area: recognizing the university’s ability to create economic and social value from scientific knowledge. Strong ties with businesses and focus on entrepreneurial education, as well as encouragement and support of local start-ups and spin-offs, have created an atmosphere of a business incubator at the University of Twente.
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students accepted: Yes
- Graduate students accepted: Yes
- Computer Science majors accepted: Yes
- Students should have the equivalent of a 3.0 on a 4.0 GPA grade scale. Borderline students may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Students must be beyond their second year of study during the exchange period.
Language of Instruction
English and Dutch
English Proficiency Requirements
- Minimum TOEFL score – 80 (internet-based test)
- Minimum IELTS overall Band score – 6.0
- Minimum TOEIC score – 790 (containing both the modules 'Speaking and Writing' and 'Listening and Reading')
- Cambridge CPE or CAE (A, B or C)
You are exempt from providing proof of English proficiency if:
- you are a national from Australia, Canada (English-speaking territories), Denmark, Finland, Ireland, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, OK or USA
- or if your program at the UT consists exclusively of laboratory research that is graded by your home institution only.
Fall, Spring or Academic Year
Academic Calendar | Semester Dates (including exam period)
- Fall: 1 September - 31 January
- Spring: 1 February - 30 June
- Advanced Technology
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Physics
- Biomedical Engineering
- Business Administration
- Business Information Technology
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Communication Science
- Computer Science
- Construction Management and Engineering
- Creative Technology
- Educational Science and Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Embedded Systems
- Health Sciences
- Human Media Interaction
- Industrial Design Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Internet Science & Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Philosophy of Science, Technology and Society
- Public Administration
- Systems and Control
Workload per Semester
The full-time workload is 30 ECTS credits per semester (1 ECTS credit ~ 28 hours study load). Depending on the courses/projects you choose, the actual workload may be different.
Additional Application Materials
Students nominated by IIE to Twente also need to submit the following documents digitally and complete the Twente online application:
- An original transcript of records in English; outlining completed courses and results obtained during your Bachelor, Master or other previous education.
- A valid international passport (all pages of your passport, including the blank ones)
After the application deadline, submitted documents will be assessed and processed by the faculty coordinators to decide upon admission. Students will be informed about their acceptance by email as soon as the process is completed.
Global E3 exchange students apply for furnished on-and off campus accommodation as a regular step in the application procedure at the Student Affairs & Services Department of the University of Twente. Students may also choose to live in one of the countless shared student houses or apartments all over the city.
Estimated Cost of Living
Cost of Living
Office Responsible for International Exchange Students
International Office – Exchange Students (CES) | email@example.com
The city of Enschede lies in the eastern part of the Netherlands, a few kilometers from the Dutch-German border, 170 km (100 miles) away from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. With about 160,000 inhabitants, Enschede is the largest city of the eastern Netherlands.
Enschede just wouldn’t be the same without its students. The city is home to University of Twente, Saxion University of Applied Sciences, a conservatory, a pop academy and an art academy. The diversity of students from different fields creates a vibrating and energetic group, organizing a wide variety of events throughout the year.
Enschede offers also a wide range of interesting cultural events, as well as shopping opportunities with shops, cafés, restaurants, bars and clubs centered around de Oude Markt (Old Market Square).
Enschede is also one of the greenest cities in the Netherlands. Sun seekers, watersport fans, nature lovers and anyone who wants to escape his/her daily routine can head for Lake Rutbeek or one of the many parks for recreation. For rainy Sundays, the amusement park Go Planet offers many different indoor leisure time activities, like bowling, go-cart racing or diving, to enjoy.
Info for University of Rochester Students
This program is currently only available to Engineering and Computer Science majors. If you are interested in this program please contact Rohan Palma or a CEA adviser.
Name: Rohan Palma
Position: Global E3 Program Coordinator
In addition to creating your profile in the University of Rochester Portal, you must also apply directly to the program here. The deadline to submit your application in the Global E3 portal is October 1at 11:59pm EST. Please check with your advisor regarding your campus deadline, which may be earlier.